Monday, April 20, 2009

I Gave My Sea Legs Backs

I have an unfounded fear of the sea.

I've never had a bad experience in the water. I love lakes and rivers, but the ocean scares the living daylights out of me.

It's so big. The bottom is so far down. It has high tides and low tides. Things like tsunami happen in the ocean. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night freaking out about living in England because it's an island. Ahhh! Kansas is so safe from the ocean. I can handle tornadoes, floods, and other land based weather phenomenons. But the ocean is more than I can handle.

My in-laws live right on the edge of the sea. They find it hilarious that I am scared of the water. My father-in-law, Chris, loves to sail. His dad was a commander of a naval ship, so the sea is in his blood. It is funny that with my deathly fear of the ocean I married into a family that loves it.

Chris and Dave put the sailboat back together over Easter after it spent the winter in the shed. This meant that we had to have an maiden voyage of 2009 while we were visiting. I force myself to get out on the water despite fearing a tsunami every time I'm out there. My last experience of going out on the water made me seasick for 4 hours after we were back on land, but the weather was calm and Chris assured me that the water was too.

We were out for what seemed like ages. Eva and I engaged in meaningful glances that conveyed our desire to be on land once more, but the boys were oblivious. I gave steering a go which distracted my from my dramatic feeling that I might never walking on land again. My fingers got cold while steering and I couldn't cross them. I feared that this might be permanent if I didn't get to land quickly. Only Eva seemed concerned.

Finally, after 4 1/2 hours of being out on the open water, Dave dropped Eva and I off at the pontoon and we shakily made our way onto stable, wonderful land.

I've decided that though I am losing a bit of fear of the ocean, I don't love it.

I LOVE LAND!

No comments:

Post a Comment